Friday, October 9, 2020

SeeSaw pinned activities, Happy Halves, APL, STEAM kits, magical lamps

Another week down! I want to remind everyone that we are just three weeks away from the first Hallmark Christmas premier of 2020: Jingle Bell Bride on October 24th. Looks like it brings together some classic content: a wedding planner, a town in Alaska, and charming small town spirit. I'll have updated bingo cards ready for you by the 24th. Mine are way better than the Hallmark copycat version. 

SeeSaw Pinned Activities and Calendar
In case you didn't see on Twitter, SeeSaw has added the capability to pin an activity to the top of your class. There's also a new calendar view so it's easy to see what activities should be completed. Click this link for a how to video from SeeSaw and try it out! 

Happy Halves
Next week I'm restarting the Happy Halves PD sessions. For those of you who didn't attend last spring, they are 30 minute targeted learning on specific skills that you can use tomorrow. Teachers from around the district are invited. It's so nice to get perspectives from different schools. Next week's is scheduled for Tuesday from 3:30-4:00 and the topic is "Speed Dating: Your favorite virtual teaching tips". I sent an email with the Zoom info earlier this week. If you deleted it, pull it out of your trash! 

Apple Professional Learning Virtual Conferences
Our district's reps from Apple are strong leaders and are willing to share. They sent a schedule of free opportunities that I want to pass along to you. Some of you attended some sessions in the spring. If you haven't before, they are low key and informative. You can attend with your camera off and just follow along. Here is the schedule for the rest of the month. The times for us are from 4:00 to 5:00. Check it out!

At Home STEAM Kits
I'm in the process of organizing kits for kids to check out and use at home. Kits include Ozobots, Sphero, Dash & Dot, Duct tape creations, Origami, and more. There will be a website highlighting each kit and a Google Form to reserve them. I'm creating a SeeSaw course to go along with the process. Students would be able to upload a picture/video of what they have created to the corresponding activity. When activities are completed, students will get a button for the activity. I'll be building the site next week with the hope of launching the following week. I'll have all the info in next week's blog so you can send out to your classes. So if parents say they didn't know about it, I'll know what teacher to talk to :)

Show Me Award Nominees
I've enjoyed reading the first Show Me Award nominee to our kindergarten and first grade classes this week. I'd like to expand to second and third next week. So if you teach 2nd or 3rd, contact me for a time to get started. 

The Lamp
I'm trying something new. I was tired of the awkward "I'm on a call right now" hand gesturing when people come to the library. So I bought a new bulb for my salt lamp. If you see the lamp on, that means I'm on a zoom or phone call. Or perhaps I just don't want to be bothered...

That's it. Have a great weekend!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment