Friday, September 2, 2022

Three Day Weekend!

I'd like to start by thinking Mandy for all her support with getting student iPads up and running. I know she enrolled many classes, changed passwords for 3-5, and sent me info on all the issues that were popping up. 1000 Villasana Points to Mandy!

I think (knock on wood) that all iPads are distributed and functioning. At least my list says so. Let me know if that's incorrect.

What's happening with classes

  • Third graders assembled a few donated benches that are now installed in the Kunkel-Kinkead Courtyard
  • We made buttons in Ms. Sales, Ms. McIntyre, and Ms. Shafer's classrooms. 
  • Shoutout to Allie for leading the Apple Classroom refresher after school on Tuesday
Cedar Ridge Media Bingo
It's back. You'll find a playing card in your box. The process is simple. Complete a task, tweet out your activity with #CREmediabingo, and mark it off your board. Complete bingos to earn book fair money. It's a friendly competition, so don't get crazy. And it starts Tuesday, so anything you may have completed previously doesn't count. Which is good news for Nikki on one particular square. 

September STEAM Challenges
You'll have a couple options for September. One will be fairly active and the other is more low key. Pick whatever you think best fits your class. Email me to schedule a time.
  1. "Football catapults" - It's football season! Students will design and build a catapult to launch a football through the uprights. Learning targets will include simple machines, fulcrums, launch angles, gravity, and velocity. Students will work in teams. Plan for an hour.
  2. "Perfect Square" - I'll read the book "Perfect Square". Students will then get a square piece of paper and create something out of it. It'll be cute. Students will work by themselves. Plan on 45 minutes.
Literacy
I would love to come observe a Benchmark lesson in each grade level. I'd like a better understanding of what the lessons look like in action so I can think through how we can support your readers with library materials. If you are willing, please let me know so I can get it on the calendar.

Book a Day
You should have received a laminated "Book a Day" QR code for students (and you) to submit books. Please post that in your rooms and let your class know how to use it. Again, contact me directly if you have a student who would be thrilled to see their name on the board.

End of Day iPad Care
Please make sure you have a process to confirm that every iPad is accounted for at the end of each day. Devices do not go home at this time. I know there are some grades that are considering it. Let me know what you are thinking at a planning meeting and we'll work out the best process for making it a success. 

Computer Imaging
Contact Carl if your laptop has not been imaged since last school year. Email him at crobinson@cpsk12.org to schedule a time that works for you. At some point, laptops that haven't been imaged will stop working.

Arts Integration
You received an email from Carlei that included a piece from Hallie Rainwater about arts integration. I'd like to vouch for her as an excellent resource that you should utilize. She has a ton of experience with elementary students, does productions for high school, and runs my daughter's dance studio. Her musical theater numbers are pretty great. I would highly suggest you make contact with her to get something scheduled. Your students will love it. Here is her form to schedule a time in case you deleted the email. 

Media Center Scheduling
The library is open on Mondays and Fridays except for 10:30-11:00. I'd love to offer you my space to bring your class for activities. A change in venue can be a good thing, especially if your students need room to spread out. Just let me know when and I'll block it off the schedule. 

Book Purchases
I'm putting together a list of purchases for the collection. Send me titles that are new or that I just don't have. I'd like to send off the order next Friday. 

Seesaw Uploads
I've heard from a few teachers that Seesaw appears to be timing out when students are uploading work. Please let me know if you are experiencing issues as well so I can put together information for a work order. 

Chair
Thanks for reading so far down! I had to spend some expiring Scholastic dollars so I bought a new pieces of furniture. I have this blue chair that needs a home. If you would like it for your classroom, go into the Groupme and simply enter your favorite movie. If you read this, but don't need the chair, enter your favorite vacation destination. Nothing else. No explanation. I'll do a drawing next week to find a winner.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment