Friday, September 21, 2018

The MACH is open!

It's been a busy week with #CREmedia. Here are the highlights!

3rd Grade iPads
We got all third graders enrolled with their 1:1 iPads. Thanks to Regina, Julie, and Trisha for their help and patience to get those rolled out. It's exciting to have 1:1 devices in all our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade classes. 

Attention 3rd, 4th, 5th grade teachers
Or anyone else interested. Starting on Thursday, I'll be hosting an iPad vertical team collaboration group, otherwise known as the IVTCG. We'll meet at 3:30 in the computer lab. The session will be no more than 30 minutes (unless you want to stay longer) and will consist of two parts: sharing what you're loving and learning a new tool. There won't be inservice credit but there will be more intrinsic value than you can handle. We'll figure out how often we want to meet at the first IVTCG session on the 27th. Heck, we might even make some cute t-shirts that are exclusive to IVTCG members. Because I don't have a fancy t-shirt and I'm feeling left out.

The MACH is open!
The MACH is open for business. It's the hub for Makers, Artists, and Coders. We hosted two breakouts in the room this week for Ms. Wall and Ms. Kunkel. The room is open for you to use as well. I will get a calendar created and posted to the media center webpage next week. Starting next week (I have to get something going or I'll keep finding other things to do) we'll start with some creating. If you are interested in having your students come to the MACH to make bookmarks, let me know. It will be super fun and enable me to stop running off bookmarks to give away in the library. 


Early Bird
Ms. Hickcox's students enjoyed Early Bird time this week. We saw lots of duct tape creations, checkers played with chess pieces, and quite a bit of Angry Birds. I'm impressed with how many students can work a Rubik's cube. I need to get some practice in. Next week we'll be hosting Mr. Higgins' students. 

New Books!
We've started to get more of the new materials out for checkout. Our replacement bookcase arrived last week and we were able to keep the old one. So now we have more space to showcase new materials, award books, and popular series. I'm most excited about the addition of about a dozen "choose your own adventure" books. Creating their own versions would be pretty cool. If you are interested in trying it out, I have quite a few tools we could use to create, publish, and share "choose your own adventure" stories. As I've been told many times, I'm smarter than I look. 

Poster Printer
Now I have Amber's attention. In order to curb the inadvertent printing of giant tacos, the poster printer has been taken offline. But there's good news! We found a cable that you can use to connect your laptop to the printer when you actually need to print giant tacos. It's not quite as easy as just plugging it in and printing, but nothing good comes easy. Let me know if you are interested. Bring snickerdoodles.

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment